The ITA In the Spotlight features Raony Carvolaho of Texas Tech, who was recently named MVP of the 2010 Blue Gray Tennis Classic, where the 13th-ranked Red Raiders captured the team title. Carvalho is currently ranked No. 15 in singles and No. 18 in doubles with Rafael Garcia in the Campbell/ITA College Tennis Rankings.
1. Other than tennis, not many people can beat you at?
2. When is your favorite season to play tennis? What makes it so much better than the others?
Spring. I like to play like as a team.
3. What Tennis player did you admire most growing up?
I liked to watch Marat Safin and Guillermo Coria. Guillermo Coria, because of how and where he hit the ball. Marat Safin, because his attitude on the tennis court is not to care about anything.
4. How has college challenged you as an athlete?
I am more mature than before, more responsible; I am dividing my time better. I know what things I can manage and cannot since playing college tennis.
5. Do you have any pre-match rituals or superstitions?
It depends. Sometimes I have my game plan, thinking that I won my match already, what I did good during my match, but then sometimes I don’t like to think about my match and I prefer to talk to someone about different things to keep my mind busy.
6. What is the best thing about playing for your University's team?
I have a great team at Texas Tech. There are four of us Brazilians and two guys from Ecuador so I don’t feel like I am too far away from Brazil. I have two great coaches in Marcelo Ferreira and Tim Siegel -- they help me a lot with everything.